'A BIT OF THIS & THAT' (2)
This page is designed to give you information that just doesn't fit into any of the other categories. For example, available here are two pages of a magazine 'The Steering Wheel' detailing a hillclimb held by the Riley Car Club at Mt Cotton in 1933 - but not at our venue! [Page 1] [Page 2]
Also, Ann Thomson was awarded a Life Membership of CAMS this year and, while her citation was published in the Octagon, it should be more generally and permanently available to our members so that they can appreciate her service to the Club and to motorsport.
We also had our members competing in significant events (event if not put on by the MGCCQ) such as the hillclimbs at Burleigh, Whites Hill, Toowoomba and Warwick and this provides a place for these events to be acknowledged.
There have also been a whole range of excellent articles of historical interest published in the Octagon. Members who join the Club after the publication of these rarely get the chance to read them. Here on the website they can be accessed at any time. Amongst these are the well-researched articles by Malcolm Spiden on the history of motorsport in Queensland.
There is also a collection of snippets of intriguing information gleaned whilst the archiving of all articles in all Octagons was being undertaken. As a play on words to indicate that these were from the past, they were aptly named ‘Octagone’.
Early Club member, Ken Ebeling, was a diarist and keeper of records with the result that his memoirs of his motoring days provide an accurate account of his pursuit of motorsport while a member of the Club.
OTHER PAGES ARE DEVOTED TO PHOTOS OF:
(Click each link)
LAND OF THE CLUBROOMS IN 1974 – Photo supplied by Pat Collins whose family farmed the area where the Clubrooms now stand (thus the name of Collinsvale St)
These were written primarily for his family along with his complete life story but he has made the motoring sections available to the Club. They have been serialized in the Octagonand are still available on the Octagon page of the website but are available here as well. They make fascinating reading of his life with his MGs as well as giving us insight into early Club events.
Some photos of the building of the hillclimb were made available when the book ‘History of the Hill’ was being compiled in 2007. They are reproduced here along with a number of candid photos of Club members at working bees.
There are also individual stories such as those written by Lionel Ayers about racing his TC and Bruce McMillan about the early days of the Club.
These have been organized into two major sections:
Photos of general interest (click here)
Octagon articles of enduring interest(below)
OCTAGON ARTICLES OF ENDURING INTEREST (Click title)
1. OCTAGONE - or A RIDE DOWN MEMORY LANE
by Elaine Hamilton who, while archiving the articles from past Octagons came across these interesting snippets of information from years past.
3. AUSTRALIA'S FASTEST SQUARE RIGGER
by Lionel Ayers (of his racing TC) Published August 2008. The early racing days of one of Queensland's, and the Club's, most successful racing drivers.
5. LIFE MEMBERSHIP OF CAMS FOR ANN THOMSON (Reproduced from the Octagon of April 2009.) Following a lifetime of dedication to the MG Car Club of Qld Inc and to CAMS, Ann Thomson was awarded CAMS life membership for remarkable and exemplary service.
7. THE COLLINS CONNECTION
by Pat and Desley Collins (Published Aug 2007). Find out about the connections this family has with the Club and discover the secret past of our webmistress.
13. MEMORIES … by Tom Storrie (Pub 2005).
An intriguing article about the testing of Kerry Horgan's Customline at Lowood in 1963.
4. ORIGINS OF THE SACRED OCTAGON
by Graeme Walker and KNITTING PATTERN for the Octagon by Delia Rayment. (published 2006)
10. THE LAKES' MGA STORY by David Lake, the Restorer's apprectice. (Pub Oct 2006). The story of the family's 5791 day restoration project.
17. Y TO THE WEST & BACK - by Peter and Delia Rayment's account of their trip to the 2016 National Meeting in Perth in their MGY.
18. KEN EBELING'S MOTORING STORY - This is comprised of fourteen chapters and will give the reader insight into motoring, the early history of the Club and its events plus the documentation of many results of events put on by our Club and others. The chapters are:
3. An MG at Emerald [Part 1] [Part 2]
5. My second MG
9. Competition in the TR2 1956
11. Motor sport involvement starts to taper off
2. My first car [Part 1] [Part 2]
4. A taste of competition in the MG TC
6. More TF competition [Part 1] [Part 2]
10. Competition in the TR2 1957
12. Motoring into the sixties and seventies
For Sale now in Classifieds